new passport application approval process
- all passport applicants irrespective of age should use passport application form k 35a.
- all passport applicants including children should provide digital photograph through authorized photo studio
- fingerprints will be collected from all applicants above 16 years at the head office and three regional offices in sri lanka
- applicants submitting passport applications through sri lanka diplomatic missions overseas could do so without providing fingerprints and digital photograph. holders of such passports could provide fingerprints on their first arrival in sri lanka at the head office or any of the regional offices of the department.
- inclusion of children in parents passport will no longer be allowed and children will be issued separate passports
- children below 16 years of age whose passports are issued after 10th august 2015 are required to provide fingerprints to the department upon reaching the age of 16 years. holders of such passports living abroad should do so upon first arrival in sri lanka.
- no emergency certificate (ec) shall be issued for applicants below 60 years
how to submit a digital photograph to the department
- visit a authorized photo studio of your choice to obtain a digital photograph
- studio will send your photograph online to our computer system and will issue a studio acknowledgement note to you. no printed photographs are required for passport application.
- studio acknowledgement note must be presented with your application and other supporting documents to the department.
more information: hotline 1962 or telephone numbers 011 532 9120 / 001 532 9123
you can obtain a sri lankan passport if you are – a sri lankan citizen by descent or by registration.
getting passport urgently
if you need your passport for urgent traveling you can apply for one-day service. this service is only available at immigration & emigration department head office. see issue of passport
validity period of a passport
currently issuing n series passports are valid 10 years unless otherwise specified. validity period of passports for minors below 16 years of age are 03 years. emergency certificates are valid two (02) years but can be extended for further two years.
what are the working hours ?
- normal processing applications - from 8.30 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.
- urgent basis applications - from 8.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. on week days only. the office closes on weekends and public holidays.
you can submit all passport applications to the passport division (level 01) of the department of immigration & emigration located at no. 41, ananda rajakaruna mawatha, colombo 10.
what are the types of passports ?
- a passport valid for all countries
- ordinary passport
- diplomatic passport
- official passport
- a passport valid for specified countries in the south asian and midle east countries
- emergency certificates for buddhist pilgrims travel india and nepal
- icom & nmrp for urgent one way travel document issued by sri lankan overseas missions
organization informationdepartment of immigration & emigration
ananda rajakaruna mawatha,
ms. m. u. i. alahakoon